If you are looking for a delicious fall coffee cake filled with fresh apples, look no further. Apple Buckle pairs perfectly with morning coffee, an afternoon cup of tea, or a picnic treat.
Makes 6 – 8 servings
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp unbleached flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsps softened butter
- 3 tbsps softened butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup oat flour (you can grind your oats into oat flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Oriental Five Spices (optional)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/4 cup Honeycrisp apples, peeled, cored, and diced mixed with 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine ingredients for the streusel topping in a small bowl till it is a crumbly mixture. Set aside.
- Cream butter, sugar, and vanilla in a medium to large mixing bowl. Beat in one egg for about a minute or two.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients into the creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- Fold in apples with lemon juice.
- Add cake mixture to an 8″ square buttered baking pan or in place of butter; line the baking pan with unbleached compostable parchment paper. Top with streusel topping.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a cake tester poked in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Note: You may substitute Honey Crisp apples with McIntosh, Pink Lady, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Fuji, or a combination of your favorite crisp, firm, juicy apples.
Recipe compliments of OPL Naturalist and Home Chef Yvonne Dwyer