It is astonishing how easy this quick honey oat bread is to make and bake. The bread is delightful with a little jam and a cup of Earl Grey tea, and is an excellent gift for family, friends, or co-workers. Adapted from Sweet Pea’s Kitchen.
Servings: Yields approximately 10-12 slices
- 1 cup plus two tablespoons of Bob’s Red Mill Old Fashioned Rolled Oats Whole Grain
- 1 1/3 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt (see our recipe for freshly made yogurt)
- 1 flax egg* or 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/4 cup honey (can also replace with maple syrup or dark molasses)
- 3/4 cup almond milk or skim milk
- Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Generously coat a 9×5 inch loaf pan with coconut oil and sprinkle with 1-2 tablespoons of rolled oats. You may have to tilt the pan to evenly distribute the oats to cover the bottom and sides.
- In a large bowl, combine the oat, whole wheat flour, unbleached flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, combine yogurt, egg, coconut oil, and almond milk. Whisk until this liquid mixture is well blended. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients in the large mixing bowl. Mix all ingredients until well incorporated.
- Scraping the batter from the bowl, pour the mixture into the loaf pan, spreading evenly and sprinkling a tablespoon on top.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake pick comes out clean when inserted. Remove the bread from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes. Remove the bread from the pan and move it to a cool rack.
To make a flax egg: Add one tablespoon of ground flaxseed and three tablespoons of water. Mix. Let sit for 5 minutes and use in place of an egg.
Recipe compliments of OPL Master Naturalist and Home Chef Yvonne Dwyer