These no-bake energy bars are so delicious and easy to make. Whether you are going on a nature walk, hiking, biking, or on any other outdoor excursion these bars make an excellent trail snack.
Total Time: 20 minutes
Makes 8 servings
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 4 dates, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Quick Cooking Whole Grain Rolled Oats, uncooked
- 1/2 cup honey (or maple syrup or agave)
- 1 cup natural peanut butter (or other nut butter of choice)
- 2 Tbsp. Coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup of cranberries, raisins, dried cherries, dried blueberries, dried apricots, mini chocolate chips, or other dried fruits and nuts.
- Combine chopped nuts, oats, and dates in a medium-size bowl. Work the dates into the dried oat/nut mixture to incorporate them well.
- Heat honey, coconut oil, and nut butter in a 2-quart saucepan over low heat until the mixture is smooth. Pour over the oat, almond, and date mixture until well combined. If you are adding chocolate chips, let the mixture cool down a little before adding otherwise you will have melted chocolate chips which is not a bad thing.
- Once everything has been mixed, transfer to an 8×8 inch baking pan and flatten into a 1-inch thickness. Top with some extra chocolate chips pressing gently down into the bars.
- Cover with beeswax and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Cut into 8 squares and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Enjoy!
Recipe compliments of OPL Naturalist and Home Chef Yvonne Dwyer
Eating more fruits and vegetables is good for you and the planet. Find more delicious OPL-recommended plant-rich recipes here.