This is a dish you will crave! Take a lovely orange cauliflower (I love trying vegetables of all colors) and combine with orange sauce and rice! Voila! A combination of savory and sweet. Recipe is one by Nora Taylor. Below is her recipe with my adaptations for a quick dinner recently.
For Cooking Cauliflower:
1 head orange cauliflower
1 cup water
¾ cup flour
1 tablespoon garlic powder (or fresh minced garlic)
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
For Orange Sauce:
1 cup orange juice
½ cup granulated sugar
2-3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
2 garlic cloves minced
2-3 drops of hot sauce or ¼ teaspoons of dried pepper flakes
2 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ cup water
Green onion or chives chopped
To Crisp the Cauliflower
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash and cut the cauliflower into bite-sized pieces.
- In a medium bowl, combine the water, flour, garlic powder, and salt. Whisk together.
- Place panko bread crumbs in a medium bowl and set next to wet batter.
- Dip the cauliflower into the wet mixture, then toss in panko breadcrumbs and place on the baking sheet. Make sure the cauliflower pieces are not touching each other so they crisp up nicely.
- Bake for about 25 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven.
- In a large pan (that will fit all the cauliflower and sauce), add the orange juice, sugar, soy sauce, garlic, and hot sauce. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes.
- Mix the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl. Add to the orange sauce. Stir over medium heat constantly for a couple of minutes until it thickens.
- Turn off heat and then add the cauliflower to the sauce and stir to coat.
- Cook white rice as per package instructions.
- Serve over rice and top with green onions.
OPL Founder & Wayfinder Lorie Buckingham shares a favorite recipe.