Looking for an extraordinary dessert for your next gathering? This decadent chocolate and strawberry cake is the perfect treat for any special occasion. We promise you’ll want to make it more than once!
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp. cocoa rouge unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup caster sugar (superfine sugar) * See note
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sweetheart jam or strawberry preserves
- 2 Tbsp. almond milk, half and half, or heavy cream
- 3 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Combine the almonds and cocoa powder in a small bowl. Cream the butter, caster, and brown sugar in a bowl until fluffy, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs and the vanilla and fold into the almond mixture.
- Spoon mixture into a parchment-greased lined 8-inch springform pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 to 45 minutes. Insert a cake tester or toothpick into the center of the cake to test for doneness. It should have small cake pieces attached, like brownies. Cool completely.
- Remove the cake from the pan. Spread with Sweetheart Jam or strawberry preserves.
- Bring almond milk to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and add chocolate chips, stirring until they are completely melted. Drizzle mixture over the entire cake.
- Garnish with 1/4 cup of chopped fresh strawberries or your favorite frozen vanilla yogurt or ice cream.
Recipe compliments of OPL Master Naturalist and Home Chef Yvonne Dwyer