It’s dessert and vegetables at the same time! This chocolate zucchini cake is moist and delicious and perfect for any occasion.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
1 egg (beaten)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups shredded zucchini
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your 9X13 pan by lightly greasing it with butter or spray oil. Then add about 1/4 cup of flour and gently shake the pan side-to-side to cover the bottom of the pan with a thin layer. Discard excess flour.
- Cream butter and sugar together (with an electric mixer)
- Add applesauce, egg, vanilla, almond milk, mixing a little after each addition (it will be a bit lumpy)
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt
- Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients a little at a time
- Shred zucchinis until you reach 2 cups. If there is a lot of water, drain a little bit (but don’t press the zucchini), and then add it to the other ingredients
- Pour the mixture into the prepared 9X13 pan.
Eating more fruits and vegetables is good for you and the planet. Find more delicious OPL-recommended plant-rich recipes here.