This comforting, nutrient-rich roasted veggie bowl is a perfect meal for any season. Get creative with this vegan recipe and roast whatever vegetables you have on hand – brussels sprouts, celeriac, or other root vegetables, and any winter squash varieties would all work well. For an added flavor boost, choose homegrown, locally available, or in-season produce.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Total Time: 40 min
- 1 head of cauliflower and/or broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced into 1 inch chunks
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1 inch chunks
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tsp paprika, divided
- 2 tsp garlic powder, divided
- 1 tsp ground cumin, divided
- 1 tsp kosher salt, divided
- ½ tsp black pepper, divided
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 4 cups of kale, chopped
- ¼ cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 avocado, sliced
Tahini Lemon Dressing:
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp tahini (or 3 Tbsp hummus, in a pinch)
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp honey
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss carrots and sweet potatoes with 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp cumin, ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Place on a rimmed baking pan.
- Using the same bowl, toss cauliflower and broccoli with 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp cumin, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp black pepper. Place the broccoli and cauliflower on another sheet pan.
- Place both sheet pans in the oven, roasting the carrots and sweet potatoes for 30 minutes, and the broccoli and cauliflower for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the quinoa and vegetable broth in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat, and cook for 15 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed. Fluff the quinoa with a fork, then stir in the chopped kale and remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil. Cover and keep warm until ready to serve; the kale will wilt while staying warm in the pot.
- Prepare the Lemon Tahini Dressing: Combine lemon juice, olive oil, tahini, vinegar, honey, curry powder, turmeric, sea salt, and black pepper, and whisk vigorously until dressing is smooth.
- Assemble the bowls by spooning the quinoa and kale mixture first, then arranging roasted vegetables and avocado slices on top. Drizzle with the tahini dressing, and garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds.
This recipe is from of Home Chef and OPL Community member Kristina Shane.
Eating more fruits and vegetables is good for you and the planet. Find more delicious OPL-recommended plant-rich recipes here.