If you have been afraid to eat a kale salad, this is the one you should try. When you mix kale, apples, cranberries, and walnuts together you get a surprisingly delicious, double-helping worthy salad.
Servings: 4 servings
For the salad:
- 4 cups chopped kale leaves, ribs removed
- 1 cup shaved carrots
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola or feta cheese
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped and lightly toasted (almonds, pecans, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, and pistachio nuts can be substituted for the walnuts)
For the Maple dressing:
- 3 tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbs pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add kale, carrots, and red cabbage to a salad bowl. Mix together.
- Sprinkle the apples, dried cranberries, cheese, and walnuts on top of the salad mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the maple dressing ingredients except the salt and pepper. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle dressing on the salad and gently toss.
Recipe compliments of OPL Naturalist and Home Chef Yvonne Dwyer
Eating more fruits and vegetables is good for you and the planet. Find more delicious OPL-recommended plant-rich recipes here.