The earthy aroma and texture of these blue oyster mushrooms combined with herbs and cream (if desired) make a hearty side dish or can be the star of the meal.
One harvest of Blue Oyster Mushrooms
2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 tablespoons chopped garlic
2 teaspoons of dried thyme
1 teaspoon of fresh rosemary
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)
Hot Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Tear freshly harvested mushrooms into desirable pieces.
- On medium heat, add EVOO to a large frying pan or Dutch oven. Add chopped onion and sauté for about 3 minutes; add mushrooms until they have released all of their high moisture content (about 10 minutes). Do not cover the pan with a lid.
- Add chopped garlic, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper to the pan and sauté until the moisture in the pan has evaporated and mushrooms are brown (about 15 minutes). The smell of this mixture is so aromatic.
- (Optional) Deglaze the pan with white wine for 5 minutes allowing the wine to cook off.
- (Optional) Add heavy cream and cook for 3 minutes until cream has reduced.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle with hot pepper seeds to taste, and add additional salt if needed.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for other favorite dishes.
Serving suggestion: Make these mushrooms your main entrée and add a side of polenta.
Recipe compliments of OPL Naturalist and Home Chef Yvonne Dwyer