Enjoy this warm and hearty butternut squash soup and grilled cheese sandwich for lunch or dinner. It is a comforting winter meal.
For the Soup:
- 3 cups butternut squash cubed
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Dash of cayenne pepper
For the Grilled Cheese Sandwiches:
- Olive Oil
- Veggie Stock
- Loaf of bread
- Salted Butter
- Gruyere Cheese
- Asiago Cheese
- Provolone Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, toss together olive oil, butternut squash, 1 tablespoon thyme, 1 tablespoon rosemary, dash of cayenne, salt and pepper. Slice the top of the garlic bulb and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap the bulb of garlic in tin foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Bring the veggie stock to a boil on the stove and add butternut squash, onions, and garlic to the pot. Bring to a boil and then lower to medium heat. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Use an emulsion blender to bring the soup to a smooth consistency. In a large skillet over low/medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Slice your bread (or use pre-sliced bread) and put on the pan. Shred your cheese and sprinkle on a liberal amount. Cook until the bread is golden brown and finish off in the oven for 3 minutes for ultimate melted cheese.
Recipe compliments of Home Chef Sarah Biddle and OPL Community Member
Eating more fruits and vegetables is good for you and the planet. Find more delicious OPL-recommended plant-rich recipes here.