I love this salad, especially this time of year when the arugula and herbs are fresh from the garden. It is a simple salad to put together and is enhanced by a lemon balsamic dressing and Parmesan. It is healthy and ready in minutes.
Servings: 6 servings
For the arugula salad:
- 5 ounces arugula (roughly 5 cups)
- 1 – 2 ounces french sorrel (roughly 2 cups)
- 4 medium carrots shaved into ribbons or 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (cut into halves)
- 1/3 cup large Parmesan shavings —don’t skip this; I like to shave mine right off of the block with a vegetable peeler.
- 3 tablespoons chopped sunflower seeds or chopped nuts of choice (toasted and chopped walnuts, pecans, pistachios, sliced almonds, or pine nuts are great options)
- 1 tablespoon chopped mild fresh herbs of choice (chives, parsley, tarragon)
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1/2 medium lemon)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Place the arugula, carrots, and tomatoes in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the dressing ingredients: lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and salt. (Alternatively, you can shake them all together in a mason jar with a tight-fitting lid.)
- Drizzle enough over the arugula to moisten it, then toss to combine.
- Sprinkle Parmesan and any desired nuts or herbs over the top. Serve immediately with a drizzle of extra dressing as desired.
Recipe compliments of OPL Naturalist and Home Chef Yvonne Dwyer
Eating more fruits and vegetables is good for you and the planet. Find more delicious OPL-recommended plant-rich recipes here.