I love this salad, especially this time of year when the arugula and herbs are fresh from the garden. It is a simple salad to put together and is enhanced by a lemon balsamic dressing and Parmesan. It is healthy and ready in minutes.
Servings: 6 servings
For the arugula salad:
- 5 ounces arugula (roughly 5 cups)
- 1 – 2 ounces french sorrel (roughly 2 cups)
- 4 medium carrots shaved into ribbons or 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (cut into halves)
- 1/3 cup large Parmesan shavings —don’t skip this; I like to shave mine right off of the block with a vegetable peeler.
- 3 tablespoons chopped sunflower seeds or chopped nuts of choice (toasted and chopped walnuts, pecans, pistachios, sliced almonds, or pine nuts are great options)
- 1 tablespoon chopped mild fresh herbs of choice (chives, parsley, tarragon)
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1/2 medium lemon)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Place the arugula, carrots, and tomatoes in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the dressing ingredients: lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and salt. (Alternatively, you can shake them all together in a mason jar with a tight-fitting lid.)
- Drizzle enough over the arugula to moisten it, then toss to combine.
- Sprinkle Parmesan and any desired nuts or herbs over the top. Serve immediately with a drizzle of extra dressing as desired.
Recipe compliments of OPL Naturalist and Home Chef Yvonne Dwyer