There is something particularly satisfying about this homemade chicken and vegetable soup. It warms up a winter’s day and makes everything feel better. Pair this soup with warm yeast rolls or homemade bread.
Serves: 4 – 6 servings
- 2 small chicken breasts – high-quality, pasture-raised chicken, preferred
- 4 celery stalks
- 3-4 large carrots
- 1 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsps olive oil, divided
- 4-6 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tbps Cavender’s Salt-free All Purpose Greek Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper
- Wash the celery and cut off the ends. Put ends into your compost container. Cut each celery stack in half, lengthwise. Chop each stalk into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces.
- Wash the carrots and cut off the ends. Put ends into your compost container. Cut each carrot in half, lengthwise. Cut each half in half lengthwise again if the carrot is one inch round or more. Chop each carrot into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces.
- Peel and chop the onion into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces. Discard the onion peel into your compost container.
- Peel two garlic cloves. Smash each clove between the side of your carving knife and the cutting board. Then chop each clove into small pieces.
- Salt and pepper each chicken breast. You may also want to sprinkle each breast lightly with garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.
- In a medium fry pan, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add the chicken breast and cook over medium heat until cooked through and reaching 165 degrees—Brown on each side. Turn down the heat and add some broth to the pan if the chicken turns too dark.
- While cooking the chicken, place a large saucepot on another burner. Over medium heat, add 2 tbsps of olive oil. Add all chopped vegetables. Cook and stir until the vegetables soften slightly. Sprinkle vegetables with the All Purpose Greek Seasoning. Stir to coat.
- Add 4-6 cups of chicken or vegetable broth to the vegetables. Stir and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, place each cooked chicken breast on your cutting board and chop it into pieces. They can be small or larger 1/2-1 inch pieces depending on your preference.
- After cooking the soup for 20 minutes, add the chopped chicken breast and cook for 10 additional minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Season with salt and pepper, as needed. Enjoy!