Apple Buckle is the Perfect Fall Coffee Cake
If you are looking for a delicious fall coffee cake filled with fresh apples, look no further. Apple Buckle pairs perfectly with morning coffee, an afternoon cup of tea, or a picnic treat.
Makes 6 – 8 servings
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp unbleached flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsps softened butter
- 3 tbsps softened butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup oat flour (you can grind your oats into oat flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Oriental Five Spices (optional)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/4 cup Honeycrisp apples, peeled, cored, and diced mixed with 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine ingredients for the streusel topping in a small bowl till it is a crumbly mixture. Set aside.
- Cream butter, sugar, and vanilla in a medium to large mixing bowl. Beat in one egg for about a minute or two.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients into the creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- Fold in apples with lemon juice.
- Add cake mixture to an 8″ square buttered baking pan or in place of butter; line the baking pan with unbleached compostable parchment paper. Top with streusel topping.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a cake tester poked in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Note: You may substitute Honey Crisp apples with McIntosh, Pink Lady, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Fuji, or a combination of your favorite crisp, firm, juicy apples.
Recipe compliments of OPL Naturalist and Home Chef Yvonne Dwyer
Eating more fruits and vegetables is good for you and the planet. Find more delicious OPL-recommended plant-rich recipes here.