Egg Roll in a Bowl
This delicious egg roll in a bowl recipe is so good and quick to make. If you are cooking for a group, double the recipe. Your guests will love this dish, and one that you may find yourself making when you are in the mood for something quick, delicious, and nutritious.
Servings: Makes 4 servings
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 small red onion (diced)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp ginger (finely minced)
- 1 lb antibiotic-free ground pork
- 2 tsp sriracha sauce
- 1 bag coleslaw mix (14 oz.) *see note
- 2 red peppers (thinly sliced)
- 1 bag matchstick carrots (10 oz.) or 4 medium-sized peeled carrots cut into matchsticks
- 3 tbs low-sodium soy sauce (or Bragg Liquid Aminos All Purpose Seasoning)
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- cracked black pepper and salt (to taste)
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add red onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and ginger. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add ground pork and sriracha sauce. Cook and crumble until pork is cooked through, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add coleslaw mix, red bell pepper, carrots, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, black pepper, and salt to taste, and stir until well combined. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Spoon pork-cabbage mixture into a serving bowl over white or brown rice or udon or soba noodles. Drizzle with a sauce of choice, and garnish with chopped green onions, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Note – To make your coleslaw mix, shred 1 medium (1.5 lbs) green cabbage head (equivalent to 8 cups) or for more color, 4 cups green cabbage and 4 cups red cabbage, and 1-2 medium-sized carrots.
Recipe compliments of OPL Naturalist Yvonne Dwyer.
Eating more fruits and vegetables is good for you and the planet. Find more delicious OPL-recommended plant-rich recipes here.