This green bean salad is delicious as a side dish. It is healthy and fresh tasting and makes a nice addition to a holiday menu.
- 1 pound fresh green beans, rinsed, and end tips cut off
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, chiffonade
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 – 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup diced red onions
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil over high to medium-high heat.
- Add prepped green beans to the boiling water and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- While the beans are cooking, add cold water to cover the ice in a large bowl half filled with ice.
- Strain hot cooked green beans and add them to the ice bath. Remove from the bath when beans feel cold, approximately 3-4 minutes, and then add beans to a medium to a large salad bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, white wine vinegar, mint leaves, sea salt, ground black pepper, and minced garlic. Add this dressing to the cold green beans and toss gently to coat. Add the diced red onion and toss it again.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese and, lastly, toasted walnuts.
- This green bean salad tastes better as it marinates for an hour.
Recipe compliments of OPL Naturalist and Home Chef Yvonne Dwyer