In our last Consumer Supported Agriculture (CSA) event for the season here in the Mid-Atlantic, I picked up a beautiful head of cauliflower. I was still deciding what to make.
I love One Planet Life’s recipe for Chinese-inspired Orange Cauliflower and the Cacio e Pepe Roasted Carrots and Cauliflower. However, I wanted to try something different. While browsing the web, I found and was inspired by this Bang Bang Cauliflower Pizza recipe on This Savory Vegan site. I made a few changes, and it was incredibly delicious. Whether you make it vegan or the way that I made it, this Cauliflower Pizza with Bang Bang sauce will knock your socks off.
Recipe adapted from This Savory Vegan.
- 1 recipe of pre-made pizza dough; try our grilled OPL pizza recipe
- 1 head of cauliflower cut into florets
- 1/3 cup King Arthur’s White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp coarse black pepper
- 3-4 tbsp sriracha – separated
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3-4 tbsp half & half
- 1 large red onion, sliced thin
- Sprigs of cilantro to garnish the pizza after it has been grilled
- Place a 14.5×16.5 pizza stone on the grill and heat medium-high at 425°- 450° F for ten to fifteen minutes.
- Line an 11.5×17 inch baking sheet pan without sides (it makes it easier to slide the pizza on and off the stone) with parchment paper and sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Place the whole pizza dough ball over the prepped parchment paper and roll with a small rolling pin or stretch by hand.
- Brush the top of the pizza with olive oil and grill for 6-8 minutes. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, cornstarch, salt, coarse black pepper, 1 tbsp sriracha sauce, almond milk, and water in a bowl using a whisk.
- Dredge the cauliflower in the flour mixture, and coat each flowerlet evenly. Add to oiled parchment paper on a baking sheet 11 1/2 x 17. Bake at 450° F for 15 minutes; turn, and roast for 15 minutes, adding the red onion to the last 10 minutes of the cauliflower roasting. The cauliflower should be a nice light golden brown color and crispy.
- Make the Bang Bang sauce while the cauliflower is roasting. Whisk the mayonnaise, rice vinegar, and 3 tablespoons in a small bowl.
- Combine the softened cream cheese and half and half until smooth.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture on the top of the grilled pizza. Add the cauliflower and red onion. Place pizza on the hot stone on the grill and cook for 6-8 minutes to ensure the bottom of the pizza does not get too brown.
- Carefully remove the pizza from the grill and immediately drizzle the Bang Bang sauce over the cauliflower and red onion. Generously sprinkle cilantro over the entire pizza. Using a pizza cutter, slice, and serve immediately.
Recipe compliments of OPL Master Naturalist and Home Chef Yvonne Dwyer