Marinated Veggie Salad with Olives is an easy side dish to take to a picnic. It also looks great on a charcuterie board and makes an excellent appetizer. Store this vegetable salad in a Mason glass jar in your refrigerator until you are ready to serve it.
Servings: 4 – 6
- 1/2 cup white vinegar (apple cider vinegar works well also)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots (cut into 1/8 inch thick rounds)
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- One 14-ounce jar of quartered artichoke hearts water-packed, drained
- 1/2 cup assorted pitted olives
- 1/2 cup roasted red bell pepper strips, water-packed
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large glass 4-quart measuring bowl, combine the vinegar, garlic, and bay leaves. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the cauliflower, carrots, and celery; cook for one minute. Drain the vegetables and transfer them to a large bowl; add the vinegar mixture and combine.
- Add the quartered artichoke hearts, olives, roasted red bell pepper strips, oil, and capers. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 24 – 48 hours.
- Remove the bay leaves—season to taste with salt and pepper.
Recipe compliments of OPL Naturalist and Home Chef Yvonne Dwyer